Summary: Dental implants are emerging as the preferred treatment option for tooth replacement. This can provide a significant boost to the market.
Grand View Research, a U.S. based market research, and consulting company estimates that the dental implants market will reach USD 6.82 billion by 2024.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the metal frames inserted below the gums through surgery. These implants are the replacement of roots. They act as a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth called crowns. Implants with attached crowns are the most preferred method for treatment of tooth loss over dentures and bridgework. Crowns function like natural teeth. They help in preserving jaw structure by preventing bone loss. Permanent implants ensure appropriate chewing function and help in keeping jawbone healthy and functional.
Types Of Dental Implants
Titanium dominated the market in 2016, with a share of 92.45%. High resistance to damage has made it the preferred material for dental implants. It integrates with ease into jawbone tissue and allows the tissue to grow as bones grow. This helps in making bones stronger. The process of implants fusion with surrounding bones is known as osseointegration. It takes around 3 to 6 months to heal.
Titanium implants usually consist of two parts. One part goes inside jawbone and the other remains outside the gum and is connected to replacement tooth. This enables accurate adjustment of upper part for utmost comfort and perfect alignment. However, a gap between these two parts allows bacteria to thrive and lead to infection.
Zirconia implants are expected to post the highest CAGR of 8.8% during the forecast period. Increasing usage of zirconia implants by dentists are due to its ceramic material. Ceramics are inert, non-allergic, and non-corrosive in nature. They also provide some add-on benefits to patients.
Zirconia implants mimic original tooth, thus providing natural looking appearance. These implants are biocompatible as they are resistant to corrosion and chemical compounds. These implants are structured in one piece with no prosthetic connections. One piece reduces the possibility of bacterial infection. On the flip side, due to one single piece, it does not provide flexibility to the tooth.
Facts & Figures
According to Grand View Research, the valuation of the global dental implant market was USD 3,563.80 million in 2016. It is likely to reach USD 6.82 billion by 2024, progressing at a CAGR of 7.7% during the forecast period.
The results of a survey conducted by the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons in the U.S. were as follows:
- Over 30 million people do not have teeth in one or both jaws
- 26.0% people aged above 75 years do not have teeth at all
- 69.0% of people aged between 35 and 45 years have one tooth missing
- More than 15 million people have crowns or bridges
- Approximately 500,000 people undergo dental implant procedure each year
- Dental implants have a success rate of about 95.0%
Overview Of Dental Implants Market
The dental implant market is segmented on the basis of material and region.
Factors affecting market growth are:
- Rising demand for prosthetics
- Introduction of novel implants
- Increasing geriatric population
- Growing awareness about dental treatment
- High cost of implant procedure
- Prolonged time for bone integration
The dental implants market is poised to witness remarkable growth during the forecasted periods. Advancements in orthodontic treatment and cosmetic dentistry are likely to spur the growth of the market. The American Academy of Implant Dentistry states that more than 500,000 dental implants are placed every year in the U.S. The number is projected to increase over the coming years.
Three Factors Influencing Growth Of Dental Implants
1) Increasing Demand For Tooth Replacement
Dental implants help dentists replace missing or damaged teeth. They aid in supporting bridges, crowns, or dentures. Due to an increase in sports injuries, there is an increase in the number of dental injuries. In addition, rising road accidents are also stirring up the demand for dental implants. A journal of the American Dental Association indicated that 13% to 39% of dental injuries occur due to sports.
Dental implants are long-term replacements preserving adjacent teeth. Implanting a tooth is equivalent to receiving a new tooth (teeth). In addition, it is considered as the only restorative technique that preserves and stimulates natural bone. They also give steady support to dentures (prosthetics). Furthermore, dental implants provide convenience, comfort and improve patient’s appearance (unlike removable dentures). As per the American Dental Association, 5 million implant procedures are performed in the U.S. every year. The above mentioned factors are anticipated to drive the market.
2) Growing Awareness Among People About Dental Implant Treatment
Several organizations and key players are focusing on providing dental education to people through training programs. For instance, Zimmer Biomet provides professional education courses to dental clinicians across the globe through Zimmer Biomet Institute. The education program focuses on strengthening and enhancing skill sets. Besides this, it gives clinicians unique opportunity to learn complicated implant procedures such as immediate implant loading and definitive restorations.
Furthermore, the company offers two unique education programs through the Zimmer Biomet Institute PathwayZ Series: zbipathwayZ LIVE Group Series and zbipathwayZ Self Study Series. The former offers interactive education and comprehensive training in implant restorative dentistry by experienced professionals. On the other hand, the latter provides theoretical knowledge on it.
For over 20 years, Institut Straumann AG, has been engaged in donating its dental implants to individuals affected by ectodermal dysplasias through the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasias.
3) Funding By Organizations For Dental Implant Treatment And R&D Activities
The Osseointegration Foundation (OF) and Academy of Osseointegration (AO) offers charitable and research grant programs. In research grant program (AO/OF Research Grant), the organization offers around USD 30,000 as a first-place research grant. These grants are awarded to eligible dental professionals, pursuing innovative dental implant research.
In charitable grant program (Osseointegration Foundation Charitable Grant Program), the organization offers financial support of around USD 10,000. It is to improve the quality of life for those who are suffering from severe dental trauma. It also supports people who are unable to receive dental therapy due to economic restraints or are suffering from lifetime dental deficit.
Dental Implants Market Player Strategies
Market players in the global dental implants market include Nobel Biocare Services AG; Institut Straumann AG; Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc.; and Dentsply Sirona. The market is consolidated in nature. Companies are focusing on strategies such as mergers and acquisitions and innovations. Apart from this, they are also investing in technological developments to stay ahead.
1) Merger & Acquisition, Partnerships, Collaboration
- In May 2018, Dentsply Sirona entered into distribution agreement with Datum Dental, Ltd. for distribution of OSSIX brand for bone and tissue regeneration for dentistry.
- In October 2017, Nobel Biocare entered into a partnership with Dentalpoint AG. Through the partnership, the former could expand its zirconia implant product portfolio. It added latter’s ZERAMEX implant brand to its portfolio. The product is intended to help clinicians in meeting patient’s demand for metal-free implants.
2) New Product Development/Launch
- In September 2018, Dentsply Sirona launched a single tooth replacement solution named “AZENTO”.
- In June 2018, Nobel Biocare entered into a partnership with GalvoSurge Dental AG. The goal of the partnership was to introduce a new product named “GalvoSurge Dental Implant Cleaning System”. This product removes bacterial biofilm from the implant surface. The product has been in development since 2012 and is expected to launch in 2019.
- In June 2018, Nobel Biocare launched the only metal-free two-piece ceramic implant solution called NobelPearl at EuroPerio9 in Amsterdam.
- In May 2018, Institut Straumann AG signed an agreement with Dental Monitoring that will provide Straumann with global distribution rights to DM’s technology. DM technology enables dentists and orthodontists to remotely monitor treatment progress in their patients. Straumann will integrate this technology into its digital and orthodontic solution. It will also further collaborate for applications of artificial intelligence in dentistry.
- In March 2017, Natural Dental Implant AG announced the development of 3-D printed version of Replicate Tooth at the International Dental Show 2017. It is a modified titanium-zirconia tooth replacement system with root made of titanium and abutment of zirconia.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
The cost of a dental implant depends on geographic location, doctor’s experience, and the type of implants used. The cost also depends on the number of teeth.
The total cost of dental implants is calculated as follows:
|Cost of guide
|+ Cost of dental implant
|+ Cost of the abutment
|+ Lab fees
|= Out of pocket expense
The average cost mentioned below excludes dental implant insurance or dental plans.
- Single tooth dental implant: The cost of the total procedure is $1,500 to $6,000. It includes single tooth implant cost of around $1,000 to $3,000 and the cost of abutment and crown is between $500 to $3,000.
- Multiple teeth dental implant: The cost of total multiple teeth dental implant is between $3,000 to $30,000. The estimate is $6,000-$10,000 for the cost of two to four tooth implants. The cost depends on the location of missing teeth.
- Full mouth dental implant: The cost of a full set of implant-supported dentures is between $7,000 to $90,000, with an average cost of $34,000. The cost of a single plate of the denture (top or bottom) is between $3,500 to $30,000.
Key Geographic Regions For Dental Implant Treatment
Geographically, the market is segmented into Latin America, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, Europe, and North America.
Europe dominated the overall market in 2016 with a revenue of USD 1.55 billion. Widening base of geriatric population is a key factor augmenting the regional market. Based on European Commission statistics, by 2020, a quarter of Europeans will be over 60 years of age. As a result of high geriatric population, the edentulous population is also likely to increase over the forecast period. According to WHO, about 20% to 90% of 6-year-old children have dental issues. Furthermore, around 5% to 20% of individuals of age 35 to 44 years and up to 40% of older people (65 to 74 years) have a severe periodontal disease.
The cost of dental implant procedure is low in Eastern European countries such as Romania as compared to other countries across the globe. The Romania Dental Tourism data announced that the average dental implant cost starts from approximately $469.11 in Romania. Whereas the same treatment cost starts from around $3,500 in countries such as the U.S.; this is estimated to support the growth of the region.
Rising number of dental implant procedures performed annually will propel the market in North America. Raising awareness for implant dentistry is projected to boost market growth in this region. Introduced in 1982, the Academy of Osseointegration (AO. with a goal was to improve oral health by advancements in the field of implant dentistry and related technologies. AO also worked towards supporting the professional needs of its member across the world. AO is recognized as a premier international association for professionals interested in implant dentistry.
High healthcare spending of the populace on dental implants can also stimulate the growth of the regional market. In addition, the presence of major market players such as DENTSPLY Sirona and Zimmer Biomet in the U.S. is expected to contribute to the growth of the market.
Asia Pacific will be the most promising region during the forecast period due to the presence of a huge target population that is suffering from tooth loss. This has triggered the growth of the market. Increasing economic stability and high unmet clinical needs in emerging countries are supplementing the growth of the regional market.
China is a sight of high growth rate in the region. According to NCBI, every year, nearly 2 million new patients visit a dentist for consultation related to oral implantology. Moreover, in Beijing, most of the hospitals are planning to include oral implantology in the coming years. This is likely to escalate the growth of the dental implants market in the country.
Rising disposable income and growing geriatric population are providing an upthrust to the market in APAC. Apart from this, increasing access to better healthcare infrastructure & regulatory reforms are likely to bode well for the regional market. Due to an economic downturn along with the high cost of dental implants, the growth rate of the market is likely to slow down.