Reduce the number of unnecessary specialist referrals while improving the patient experience
Prevent Unnecessary Referrals using Consults
Electronic consults allow primary care offices to invite specialists to a secure online discussion to review a specific patient case and exchange messages and files prior to sending the referral.
PCPs and patients are often faced with long wait times to see a specialist but with consults, the wait can be shortened dramatically.
Improve Feedback / Reduce Delay
Consults help improve feedback from a specialty consultation that normally can take weeks or months to be returned to the PCP, decreasing the chances that the PCP will refer again.
- Send and receive messages in real-time. (No waiting by the fax machine)
- Conversations can be split by a department, by referral, or client, or whatever else is relevant to your organization.
Collaboration Beyond Staff
- Share channels with organizations and businesses you regularly work with – like providers, vendors, attornies, and partners
- Bring all the right people into the same room.
- Drag-and-drop PDFs, images, videos and other medical files directly into ReferralMD with no file size restrictions.
- Get feedback on your work and create an archive for everyone to view anytime.
- Search everything that’s been posted in your messages.
- Learn the context of past decisions or see if someone’s already solved the problem at hand.
Why Consults are Important
52% of specialty referrals are unnecessary
50% of referring physicians were dissatisfied with the timeliness of specialists’ feedback
80% of all serious medical errors involve miscommunication during care transitions (to different care settings)
15% more overall patient safety events occurred in hospitals performing in the bottom 10% for physician communication, compared to those in the top 10%