Healthcare industry research shows that using mobile platforms can be more beneficial than using traditional ways of in-office doctor appointments. The new doctor-patient relationship with mobile apps continues to enhance the patient experience and offers ease to doctors in certain circumstances. In the present time of COVID-19, the situation has increased the mobile health industry drastically. Lots of patients and doctors across the globe are using technology to get assistance and prescription for their health issues.
Millions of people around the world use their mobile devices to fulfill the task of their daily needs. Users can prevent going to doctor’s clinics by using mobile apps. Anyone can take the doctor’s advice and consultation by using their mobile device. This kind of healthcare technology is vital for today’s world scenarios, especially for those people who are living in rural areas, suburbs, and other areas having difficulties in transportation or can’t go to the doctor’s place.
By Statista reports, we will see a substantial increase in the mobile healthcare market. By the end of 2020, the total revenue of healthcare app development will cross $58.8 billion U.S. dollars.
Why mobile healthcare apps?
Mobile health has opened lots of new ways to get medical advice on diabetes, sleep issues, asthma, weight loss, and other diseases at any time. Studies say that people who are using healthcare apps are getting a faster solution for their health issues and getting progress in recovery.
What are the benefits?
- Mobile apps assist doctors with real-time patient access and their medical records and enable tracking their disease flow, side effects, food habits, and other required things.
- Healthcare applications improve the workflow and different processes such as drug interaction, prescribed medicines, billing, and scheduling as well.
- Mobile apps can offer users with lots of required information about their healthcare facilities in the local vicinity, also provide the database about dentists, surgeons, physicians, and other medical specialists.
- Such apps facilitate communication between patients, nurses, doctors, and other medical experts. It also assists doctors to get advice from different specialists to know the better cure and medicines for the patients.
- Healthcare mobile apps can assist in analyzing the epidemic outbreak forecast and also helps in monitoring.
- Medical apps promote wellness awareness and healthcare education programs.
6 Steps to help build a healthcare app
Healthcare app development is the way by which an app is developed for mobile usage to assist patients and doctors as well as other users to manage their hospital visits, fitness goals, medical conditions, and others. This also facilitates users to get appointments, view lab results, see the prescribed medicines, and more.
1. Choose the type of health care app you need to develop.
Before going ahead with the development, you should be aware of what type of health care app you need. There are different types of mobile healthcare apps are available, and you can go with are as follows:
Like remote and telehealth monitoring apps help patients to get the information remotely at their location, Doctors become capable of relay ECG viewing, oxygen checks, and LifeScan information between devices.
Also, there are lots of other apps like clinical assistance apps offer patient charts, symptoms check, lab report viewing, EHR and EMR access, and other assistance. Scheduling and reminder apps assist administrators and medical practitioners to schedule appointments and send reminders to the patients efficiently and quickly.
2. Know the things you can add to your healthcare app to facilitate users
- Phone-to-text capabilities
- Diagnosis Chatbots
- Geofencing or Geolocation
- Mobile medication notifications
Lots of health and lifestyle apps are available on PlayStore that guides users to know how to make their fitness and live a healthy life easily. They can track their diet, weights, and know the exercises required. Also, you can choose educational healthcare apps. These apps include drug-related information, case studies of patients, and clinical references.
So, make your choice first to make the space for a mobile healthcare application in your system.
3. Know the required functions you want to provide
One of the essential steps to know before going for development is to know the functional features you want to provide to the users of the app. Analyze the market and understand the needs of the users seeking for such types of apps. Know the functions you can offer to your users in your mobile healthcare app:
- Dashboard; these are useful for all hospitals, patients, and doctors. They will enhance clinical administrations and efficiency.
- You can also help your users with real-time video chat options so that in case of emergencies, then can get diagnosis properly.
- Geolocation and doctor profiles; It helps patients to find the doctors near them and in their local area, know the reviews given by other patients, and go to the doctor’s clinic with the help of GPS.
- Charting and reporting functions (analytics); With this functional power, you can review the progress and monitor the activities. It also improves the level of care and lessens mistakes in reports.
- User/patient portal; It is a feature that enables patients or users to receive reminders, notifications, alerts, and messages from their doctors.
- Payment portal; It is also very essential to provide a secured online payment gateway to the users of the app and help them to buy products, services, and subscriptions online.
4. Choose the technology and platform.
Once you settled on the needs and functional features of the app, you need to know the technology and platform for your app launch. Know that devices such as smartphones, smartwatches, and tablets will offer instant and one-touch access to your app. You should also decide whether you also want to launch the desktop version of the app or not.
When it comes to choosing the platform, then the most used platforms globally are Android and iOS, and you can decide any one or both for your app. Do proper research to know the platform on which you want to launch your app in the market.
UI (User Interface) and UX (User Experience) are the two most important things that make an app successful. An easy to use user interface and navigation insist users stay and use the app for a long. Designing an interactive and intuitive user experience is not easy, so you have to contact professionals for this.
Your designing strategies should be perfect and meet the modern standards and needs of the users. The user interface must offer effortless and very easy entry of their data and result gathering. You must ensure that your mobile healthcare app is user friendly, and every user can utilize it without any hassle.
6. Service integration and testing
The development of a mobile healthcare app is not done yet. The integration of emergency services and many other services is remaining. Service integration ensures maximum effectiveness. Some of the emergency services you can include are ambulance on call, ICU and ventilator on wheels. After completing all the above-mentioned steps, you must do testing of your app to find out the bugs or errors, if any, and resolve them before launching in the market.
The span of healthcare IT and mobile apps is increasing every day rapidly. With the changing needs of today’s customers, you need to maintain your working procedures and leverage the benefits of mobile healthcare apps.